Gentling the Submissive

Gentling the Submissive

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Power of Music

This post has nothing to do with writing. I'm in a rather profound mood today and I was up at dawn (not by choice) feeding my baby. Losing sleep sucks, but he is cute and I got to see a beautiful sunrise. Dawn always puts me in a deep, grateful mood, even if I'm tired beyond my senses.
I've had this sweet song in my head all day. Danny's Song by Kenny Loggins. That song always touches me and breaks my heart, but in a good way. You know how when something is so beautiful it makes you cry? Or you're touched so deeply your heart hurts?
I was in the car with my husband when we were home hunting a couple of weeks back and it came on. I've heard it before, but being with him when it came on was that much better.
It's funny how powerful music can be. There's this country song that goes something along the lines of how tough little boys grow up to be men, they become dads and turn into babies again. I'd heard it plenty before and thought it was sweet, but now that I have a baby it means more. I could tell my man thought it was sweet too.
It's amazing how a certain song can take you back to a specific place in time. For instance, the song The End of the Innocence by Don Henley always makes me think of my childhood. No, my parents aren't divorced or anything, but they played the song a lot, so my mind goes back to my childhood whenever I hear it. I adore that song and the music video to it is my all time favorite music video ever. It's in black and white and so nostalgic. I absolutely love it! :)
Somebody once said that music doesn't create feelings. It just brings out what's already there. I totally believe that. I've heard songs before and enjoyed them, but they never fazed me until I could relate to them. An example would be some sad love songs. When you're happy they're great. If your heart is broken they can make you fall apart.
The song Ride of Your Life (I believe it's by John Gregory) was in my head the day I finally made up my mind that I wasn't going to be walked on anymore. My future was my own to determine, not someone else's to dictate. I vowed that I would pursue my dreams and wouldn't let anyone or anything keep them from coming true. By the grace of God and through determination I've found happiness that overshadowed my former pain and struggles.
I was once asked if I had to live without movies or music which would it be. At the time I chose music, because I loved movies so much, but now I'd choose the opposite. Certainly I love movies, but music speaks to me even more. Movies are memorable, but music is immortal.

No comments:

Post a Comment